Fitting a spare wheel.
If the under bed fuel tank had been fitted where the spare wheel is supposed to go,
fitting a spare wheel here would not have been an option. By going for the more difficult
option of fitting the fuel tank forward of the rear axle, there was plenty of room behind
the axle to fit a spare wheel. Space savers were considered but these have speed restrictions.
It was decided to fit a 15 inch wheel that was 6 inches wides and use a smaller tyre.
The alloy wheels fitted at the moment are 15 by 7 inches, front tyres are 225/60/R15 and rear 235/75/R15
Next year, after painting the truck, the wheels will be changed to 16 by 7 inches alloys of the same style.
The spare wheel is steel and a more compact tyre of 195/60/R15 was fitted.
Steel channel was fitted across the chassis. 3 studs were bolted to it and three wheel
studs hold the wheel to the channel
The studs use the same sized socket as the normal wheel studs so a common tool can be used.
This is a simple fixing method. If there is a puncture, the spare wheel is dropped and fitted.
The wheel / tyre that comes off and has a puncture is simply put onto the truck
bed until it is repaired and re-fitted.
This modification along with the large fuel tank and the many modernisations enable the truck
to be used for fast, comfortable long distance journeys. That has always been the aim but there
are more modifications still to be done before this will be fully achieved.
Fitting a 2-inch receiver.
We have some important criteria for this part of the project -
1. The hitch must be very discrete and the part that does show must look good.
2. The hitch must be easily removable and be fitted with 4 easily accessible stainless steel bolts.
3. Whilst it is highly unlikely it will be ever used for towing, it must be strong enough
to do so if the need arose.
4. Its main use would be to attach accessories like bike racks and storage boxes etc.
If there was a need to carry items that might scratch or damage the bed
(maybe tools and steel parts for the truck,) they could be carried in the storage box.
Another point to note is that if the spare wheel had been fitted in the original position
as per 1952 spec. there would have been no room to fit a 2-inch receiver. Fitting the spare
wheel closer to the differential created the space for the hitch to be added.
The hitch was made with 5mm thick channel at the ends and 5mm thick steel box sections.
The box sections were 40mm by 40mm box. A female 2-inch receiver was reduced in length
and welded across the two box sections. The completed unit was etch primed, primed and
then three coats of gloss black applied.
To maintain the discrete appearance, the receiver was set well back from the rear bumper
In use a short extension will be used to extend the receiver backwards beyond the rear bumper.
A receiver blanking plug was finally fitted.
Click on the banner below to see our new web site.
It is about a new hard tonneau cover (bed lid) for the 1947-53 Chevy truck.
Model - "Zero Impact Ultimate 3100" Tonneau cover. Fit without drill holes in your truck.
You can read about it and you can order it. It is available now.
Click on the banner above.
• A hard tonneau cover. Completely rigid, solid and strong. Folding.
• Zero impact. It can be fitted without drilling any holes in the truck. All paint work protected.
• Does not detract from the appearance of the truck. Enhances the appearance of the truck.
• With the cover removed and just the hardware kit showing it still looks "show quality".
• When the cover is fitted but open it still looks excellent and does not detract in any way from the appearance of the truck.
• The cover can be removed in under five minutes.
• All materials and finishes are of the highest quality.
• There is a choice of hardware support finishes to suit painted or patina trucks.
• A water drainage system is included to prevent water from leaking into the bed.
• Better than original factory quality. Just look at the pictures above.
• The model shown is supported by a mirror polished stainless steel installation kit.
• This tonneau cover is for the - 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953 Chevy truck. Advanced design stepside 3100.